*** MEDIA ADVISORY ***
Harrison Carpenter-Neuhaus, firstname.lastname@example.org
April 22: NYC-DSA Rallies for Green Public Schools, not Charter Schools
NYC-DSA organizers, national elected officials and supporters host Earth Day rally to demand investments for a sustainable and just future.
THE BRONX, NY—On April 22nd, NYC-DSA organizers will join elected officials and supporters in the Bronx for an Earth Day rally demanding a sustainable, livable future for our children. That means rejecting Governor Hochul’s efforts to privatize our education system by expanding charter schools, and instead using this year’s budget to tax the rich, support public education, and pass urgent climate legislation like the Build Public Renewables Act that will help our planet and students thrive.
The State budget is nearly two weeks late as negotiations between Governor Hochul and Assembly and Senate leadership have struggled to move forward. Governor Hochul has tried to use the pressure of delays to ram through an unpopular right-wing agenda that would funnel public money to for-profit charter schools, as well as lock up more New Yorkers in deadly jails without a trial and hike tuition on CUNY students. NYC-DSA and our allies are fighting to demand the legislature hold the line against these threats to working-class communities and make Governor Hochul listen to New Yorkers, who overwhelmingly support a budget that taxes the rich to fund the vital public goods that will improve millions of lives and strengthen our state.
- WHO — NYC-DSA organizers, elected officials, and allies. Speakers will include:
- U.S. Congressman Jamaal Bowman
- United Federation of Teachers Vice President for Academic High Schools Janella Hinds
- Bronx parent Tom Sheppard
- Bronx parent Gayle Snible
- Bronx resident Jazz Hooks
- NYC educator Christina Cover
- Bronx charter student Madison Rose
- WHAT — Rally to reject Hochul’s attempts to privatize NY schools and instead tax the rich, support public education, and pass urgent climate legislation like the Build Public Renewables Act.
- WHEN — Saturday, April 22nd, 2023
- Rally begins at 12:00 PM.
- WHERE — Roberto Clemente Plaza: 530 Willis Ave, Bronx, NY, 10455
Speakers will be available for comment following the rally.
For any additional information, please contact: Harrison Carpenter-Neuhaus, email@example.com