*** MEDIA ADVISORY ***
EMBARGOED FOR SECURITY PURPOSES UNTIL 5:30PM, APRIL 12TH
Harrison Carpenter-Neuhaus, email@example.com
April 12: NYC-DSA’s Queens Electeds Rally for a Just State Budget
Electeds and supporters reject Hochul’s billionaire budget, call to pass Good Cause Eviction, Build Public Renewables, tax the rich and protect bail reform.
ASTORIA, NY—On April 12th, socialist and progressive legislators representing Queens will rally with supporters to demand the State leadership and Governor Kathy Hochul pass a budget that meets the needs of working-class New Yorkers while rejecting destructive proposals to rollback bail reform, expand charter schools, and raise CUNY tuition.
The State budget is nearly two weeks late as negotiations between Governor Hochul and Assembly and Senate leadership have struggled to move forward. Governor Hochul has tried to use the pressure of delays to ram through an unpopular right-wing agenda that would lock up more New Yorkers in deadly jails without a trial, funnel public money to for-profit charter schools, and hike tuition on CUNY students. Astoria’s Socialists in Office and Queens progressive legislators at all levels of government are joining to urge the legislature to hold the line against these threats to working-class communities and demand Governor Hochul listen to New Yorkers, who overwhelmingly support a budget that taxes the rich to fund the vital public goods that will improve millions of lives and strengthen our state. If Governor Hochul is serious about making New York “more affordable, more livable, and safer,” this is the way to do it.
- WHO — NYC-DSA’s elected officials representing Astoria and progressive legislators alongside supporters. Speakers will include:
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- State Senator Julia Salazar
- State Senator Kristen Gonzalez
- Assemblymember Zohran Mamdani
- Assemblymember Ron Kim
- Assemblymember Steven Raga
- Councilmember Tiffany Cabán
- Councilmember Julie Won
- WHAT — Rally calling to Pass Good Cause, Build Public Renewables, Tax the Rich and reject Hochul’s Billionaire Budget
- WHEN — Wednesday, April 12th, 2023
- Rally begins at 5:30 PM.
- WHERE — Athens Square, Astoria
Speakers will be available for comment following the rally.
For any additional information, please contact: Harrison Carpenter-Neuhaus, firstname.lastname@example.org